|Harbor Day School is committed to providing all faculty and students with the access and training to enable them to use the latest educational technology and to see that technology is infused throughout the curriculum. To serve that philosophy, our computers are housed in all areas of the school, not just the three main teaching labs and library.|
Here are a few facts about our current technology and its use that you may find interesting:
- We currently have 250 Macintosh computers which include desktop as well as laptop machines. All of the school's desktop computers are linked to a common server and the Internet through our ethernet network. Fiber optic links connect the Arts and Sciences building and Blass Gym to the main building. In addition we have multiple scanners, SMARTboards, digital cameras, color and laser printers.
- All K-5 classrooms have access to computers either directly in their classroom or in a connected common area. These are used to supplement the daily curriculum (research, word processing, educational software). Our lower school lab contains 25 computers, a SMARTboard and projector, a scanner and a color laser printer and is used for instruction in grades one through five.
- Students in grades six through eight have access to our two upper school computer labs, each containing 18 computers.
- We have three moveable carts, each containing 18 wireless iBook laptop computers. These laptops are available for students in grades six through eight to use throughout the day. They may be checked out and brought to an individual class. With the completion of a parent permission form, these students are also able to check out a laptop for home use if necessary.
- Students in grades kindergarten through eight have formalized computer classes in either the upper or lower school labs. These labs and library computer center are also used extensively by self-contained and departmentalized teachers and their classes to work on a variety of assignments.
- The school's library computer center contains 18 desktop and 4 laptop computers which are available to all students. Our librarian works directly with classroom teachers and our technology resource teacher to help determine the students' curricular needs. We are continually expanding our Internet use and have a strong research component which involves all children in grades two through eight.
- We have online accounts to Encyclopaedia Britannica, World Book Online, Discovery Education Streaming, and CultureGrams. These are web based resources that are used by students and teachers at all grade levels.
- We are using InfoCentre software to automate the library. The card catalog is accessible from any computer on campus.
- The school in connected to the Internet through a high speed connection (dual T1 lines). All of our computers have the ability to access the Internet. A SonicWALL Internet security appliance provides network security as well as Internet content filtering. The content filtering lists are provided through CyberPatrol.
- All students (grades 4-8) and faculty have passcoded accounts on our server. This enables them to access their files from any computer in the school.
- All students in grades 6-8 are issued USB flash storage drives to facilitate taking files between home and school. The primary "workhorse" software at these grade levels is Microsoft Office.
- The school's yearbook and student newspaper are both produced on computer. The student newspaper is done totally in-house. Yearbook layouts are done online in collaboration with the eighth grade yearbook staff and faculty advisors.
- We provide unlimited computer access to faculty by providing all teachers with their choice of a laptop or desktop computer. Members of the faculty are supported through in-house formal workshops, individualized help and technology-related workshops and courses located throughout the community and country.
- We have a full time Director of Technology, a full time Technology Resource Teacher, and a part time Technology Integration Specialist.
Internet Safety and Children