About

History

Parents, trustees, students and faculty commit to the idea of an independent education . . . a school is born. Harbor Day School continues to celebrate tradition and excellence.

List of 38 items.

  • 1952

    • A nucleus of committed parents joins to establish St. James Parish Day School, opening with 51 students and headed by a parish priest.
    • The Parent Council and Hot Dog Day begin.
  • 1953

    • The first school benefit dinner dance is held.
  • 1964

    • Eric Pepper is chosen as the Headmaster of the newly-named Harbor Episcopal School, with an enrollment of approximately 125 students and located on the corner of Marguerite and Fifth Avenues in Corona del Mar.
    • The Board of Trustees, with 12 members, is established.
  • 1967

    • John F. Marder, Jr. is chosen as Headmaster.
    • Intramural athletics become a tradition with the establishment of the Blue/Gold annual sports competition.
    • The first Turkey Bowl game is played.
    • Another newly-established tradition is Pat-on-the-Head, a recognition of scholastic achievement.
    • Three world languages are offered: Spanish, French, and Latin for Sixth through Eighth grades.
  • 1968

    • Harbor Day School is incorporated as a non-profit institution under California charter, thus becoming an independent school.
    • The school receives accreditation by the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) and the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) as Orange County's first independent school.
    • The first Blue/Gold Track Meet is played and the first Moving Up Day is held to culminate the school year.
    • A full-time library program begins.
  • 1969

    • Through eminent domain the State Highway Division forces closure of the campus at the Marguerite at Fifth Avenue site, which provides a creative opportunity for enthusiastic parents and trustees to establish a "Master Plan”— a $1,250,000 building and school expansion project.
  • 1972

    • Groundbreaking on the new six-acre campus on Pacific View Drive begins.
  • 1973

    • Parents, students and faculty gather to dedicate the completed Phase I of the Master Plan.
    • Harbor Day School opens in the fall at 3443 Pacific View Drive.
    • Outdoor education begins with a ski trip to Squaw Valley.
    • Kindergarten, First, and Second Grades add a second section to their enrollment.
    • The school library becomes the hub of the school, with 2,800 volumes.
  • 1974

    • Harbor Day School makes national independent school history by becoming the first school to report 100% parental giving to the Annual Fund.
    • The first Grandparents’ Day is held.
  • 1975

    • Phase II construction results in additional classrooms.
  • 1978

    • The school reaches its enrollment goal of two sections of 22 students each in all grades.
    • Music is added to the curriculum for all students.
    • Colonial Day is celebrated by Fifth Grade students.
    • The all-school commitment to community service is formalized through the donations of food, clothing, and Christmas gifts to a church in Mexico.
  • 1979

    • The Moiso Family Activities Center is completed and functions as both a gymnasium and a performance facility.
  • 1980

    • The first three phases of the master plan are completed, and the Moiso Family Activities Center is dedicated.
    • The Endowment Fund is established.
    • The first Thanksgiving program (grades Kindergarten through Third) is presented for the parents on Turkey Bowl Day.
  • 1981

    • The first full-length musical, HMS Pinafore, is performed by Seventh and Eighth Grade students.
    • The literary journal, Harbor Lights, is first published.
    • International Day begins with students in Kindergarten through Fourth Grade.
  • 1983

    • An office wing and conference room are added.
    • The $1 million endowment goal is reached.
  • 1986

    • The School joins the Newport-Mesa Junior High Athletic League formalizing the interscholastic athletic competition with other elementary schools for grades Seven and Eight.
  • 1990

    • The mortgage is retired.
    • The $5 million endowment goal is reached.
    • Support of the Share Our Selves Holiday Adopt a Family Program becomes an annual event for all grade levels.
  • 1991

    • The Upper School Classroom Wing, dedicated to the Robert T. Best Family, is completed.
  • 1993

    • John F. Marder, Jr. retires after a 26-year tenure as Headmaster.
    • Dr. Sidney I. DuPont is chosen as the school's third Headmaster.
    • The first Student Council is created, and State Fair becomes a Fourth Grade tradition.
  • 1994

    • The computer technology program is upgraded, and a school-wide network is installed. It includes close to 100 Macintosh computers for students, in addition to personal computers for each faculty member.
  • 1995

    • Gold Rush Day begins in Third Grade.
  • 1996

    • The Board of Trustees unanimously agrees to construct an 8,000- square-foot facility to house specialty subjects in music, art, science, and woodshop.
    • Construction begins June 1996, and The Linden Family Arts and Science Center is completed in October.
  • 1997

    • The HDS “families” program is created at the request of Student Council members, giving students an opportunity to relate to children of other grade levels.
    • The Spanish program is expanded to all grade levels.
    • Trick or Treat for Unicef is adopted as an annual event to support children in need around the world.
  • 1998

    • Enrollment increases to 48 students in grades Six through Eight splitting the academic groups into three sections.
  • 1999

    • The Blass Gymnasium is dedicated.
  • 2000

    • The Moiso Family Activities Center is remodeled into a multi-purpose performing arts facility with retractable seating.
    • The math department initiates a celebration of Pi Day on March 14 (3.14 . . .).
  • 2001

    • The remodeled Moiso Family Activities Center is dedicated.
    • The Harbor Day School art department wins the California Art Education Exemplary Program Award.
    • The interscholastic physical education program expands to include grade Six.
  • 2005

    • The Advisory Program is created to provide students in grades Six through Eight a framework of support for the healthy and positive development of the children.
  • 2006

    • Dr. Sidney I. DuPont retires after a 13-year tenure as Headmaster. Douglas E. Phelps is chosen as the new Head of School.
    • Douglas E. Phelps appoints Department Chairs for math, science, social studies, language arts, and world language.
    • Harbor Day School adopts Mbahe Primary School in Tanzania, East Africa. A long-term commitment is made to support the educational needs of the school.
  • 2007

    • The Steelberg Families’ Kindergarten playground area is expanded and remodeled, and the Steelberg Families’ greenhouse is built to be used as a science classroom.
    • A community service requirement for graduation is initiated for Eighth Grade students.
    • The first annual Back-to-School Picnic is hosted by Parent Council.
  • 2008

    • Harbor Day School Robotics program is established.
  • 2010

    • Harbor Day School creates an Alumni Association to stay better connected to the 1700 alums and to provide a way for them to be better connected with each other.
  • 2011

    • A one-to-one iPad program begins in Eighth Grade.
  • 2012

    • Dr. Daniel R. Greenwood is chosen as the fifth Head of School.
    • Harbor Day School celebrates its 60th Anniversary.
  • 2013

    • Maker and STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) curriculum is adopted.
  • 2014

    • The AppJam+ program begins with UCI undergraduates mentoring upper school students on how to make a mobile app. Harbor Day receives first place in the AppJam+ competition.
    • Harbor Day School leases the reservoir lot across the street from the campus as a parking lot and carpool queuing area.
  • 2015

    • The Irvine Athletic field is renovated and rededicated.
    • Outdoor learning spaces are created around campus.
    • Harbor Day hosts its first annual Maker Faire.
    • The school adds the study of Mandarin Chinese to its fifth through eighth grade world language program.
  • 2016

    • The Board of Trustees unanimously names Mrs. Angi Knapp Evans (‘75) the sixth Head of School.
    • The original St. James Parish in the 1950

      The original St. James Parish in the 1950's.

    • Blue-Gold Track Meet, a tradition since 1967.

      Blue-Gold Track Meet, a tradition since 1967.

    • Students bring shovels to break ground on the new campus in 1971.

      Students bring shovels to break ground on the new campus in 1971.

    • The Harbor Day School library in 1973.

      The Harbor Day School library in 1973.

    • Mr. Marder celebrates one of his favorites, Hot Dog Day!

      Mr. Marder celebrates one of his favorites, Hot Dog Day!

    • The Irvine Athletic Field dedication.

      The Irvine Athletic Field dedication.

    • Mrs. Donna Devine leads a group during Grandparents

      Mrs. Donna Devine leads a group during Grandparents' Day in 1981.

    • The first musical was "HMS Pinafore" performed in 1981.

      The first musical was "HMS Pinafore" performed in 1981.

    • Harbor Lights literary magazine 1981 entry.

      Harbor Lights literary magazine 1981 entry.

    • The first Third Grade Gold Rush in 1996.

      The first Third Grade Gold Rush in 1996.

    • Linden Arts and Science Building Construction in 1996.

      Linden Arts and Science Building Construction in 1996.

    • The Blass Gym construction in progress in 1999.

      The Blass Gym construction in progress in 1999.

Harbor Day School

3443 Pacific View Drive
Corona del Mar, CA 92625 Phone<title><script type="mce-text/javascript"> (function(a,e,c,f,g,h,b,d){var k={ak:"984895077",cl:"EfBCCP-Fv3UQ5ZzR1QM"};a[c]=a[c]||function(){(a[c].q=a[c].q||[]).push(arguments)};a[g]||(a[g]=k.ak);b=e.createElement(h);b.async=1;b.src="//www.gstatic.com/wcm/loader.js";d=e.getElementsByTagName(h)[0];d.parentNode.insertBefore(b,d);a[f]=function(b,d,e){a[c](2,b,k,d,null,new Date,e)};a[f]()})(window,document,"_googWcmImpl","_googWcmGet","_googWcmAk","script"); </script><head><body>1-949-640-1410<html></html></body></head><br><br><br>
949-640-1410
Harbor Day School is a co-educational private independent K-8 school established in 1952.